About Silvia TrujilloI live, breathe, and sleep art. Creating art is a way of life for me.
Thanks for taking the time to learn more about Silvia Trujillo!
Silvia Trujillo is an artist and art instructor in Northern California and Oregon. Her work has been shown in The Crocker Art Museum, California State Capitol/ Office of the Governor, and The Haggin Art Museum. Her paintings have appeared in a variety of regional newspapers and magazines and her art is published for the commercial market in the form of prints and cards by Art Connex Publishing. Her work is part of corporate and private collections throughout North America, South America, and Europe.
With a history in fashion design, Silvia Trujillo has over 20 years experience in fine art study, painting, and teaching. She is a master colorist, emphasizing color relationships and works in both impressionistic and realistic styles. Being influenced by such post-impressionists and modernist landscape painters as Tom Thomson and Wayne Theibaud, her work is bold, lively and visually stimulating. Silvia’s love of the natural world takes her into the realms of landscape, portraiture, animals and botanicals, expressing the sacred connection in all of life.
My goal is to consistently produce paintings that are original and express my love of nature. I’m experimental—you will find different surfaces, approaches and subjects in my work. I love color and varied value patterns. Landscape painting is a natural extension of this love and attracts me to the dramatic light that occurs during a storm or at dawn and dusk.
In order to convey my vision accurately I employ the use of lost and found edges, knowledge of color temperature, a variety of brush strokes, design of space and contrasting values.
I feel deeply the effects of the vanishing natural environment, and it is my hope to pass on a respectful, caring, and thoughtful approach to preserving this area’s beauty by honoring the landscape in my paintings.
Achievements and Awards
Awards received in National Juried Competitions include Best of Show, Best Use of Color, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Place awards, and several Awards of Merit. These awards were juried by renowned artists and art professors including Gregory Kondos, David Hollowell, Patrick Dullanty, and Gil Dellinger.
Credentials, Distinctions & Gallery Information
Areas of expertise include painting in all media, advanced drawing, printmaking and an extensive knowledge of 19th and 20th century artists and art movements. I also provide instruction in these described areas.
Studio One Art Classes
- Sacramento, CA (Jan. 1995 – June 2008)
- Corvallis, OR (Sept. 2005 – Dec. 2006)
- Ashland, OR (June 2008 –Present)
- Owner / Instructor of painting and drawing classes for children, teens, and adults (all levels)
The Learning Exchange
- 1111 Howe Ave., Sacramento, CA (Feb. 2000 – May 2005)
Instructor of bi-monthly oil painting workshops
Reference Contact: Sue London (916) 929-9200;
- 5000 Rocklin Rd. Rocklin, CA (Fall 2002- Fall 2005)
Instructor of oil painting classes held quarterly
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Illustration/ Fashion Design from The Art Center College Of Design, Los Angeles, CA (June, 1977)
Fine Art Study/ Instructors
- Wayne Thiebaud / UC Davis – Professor and world famous artist, 1990- 1991
- Susan Sarback / School of Light & Color – founder and author, 1989- 1991
- Suchitra Bohsle – Artist and contemporary of Richard Schmid, 2003- 2005
- Terry Miura – regionally acclaimed artist, 2004- 2007
Awards and Achievements
- Award of Distinction, Umpqua Plein Air Competition
Office of The Governor Of California
- Juried Show, “Winter in California”. Sponsored by the California Arts Council, Barry Hessenius, Director.
Crocker Art Museum Annual Art Auction
- Accepted Artist 2001-2005. Various distinguished jurors.
- Special Award, Patrons Choice Award & Honorable Mention
Amador County Art Assn. 18th Annual
Juror: Carl Vosburgh Miller, AWS WSW
- Best Use of Color
CA Arts League Annual Show
Juror: Dan Peterson, Professor of Art, Modesto J.C.
- Honorable Mention
Chico Art Center Open, “Defining Vessels” National Juried Exhibition
Juror: David Middlebrook/ Assoc. Art Director, SJSU
- Best of Show
Amador County Artists Association 17th Annual Open
Juror: David Hollowell, Distinguished Artist and Professor of Art, University of California, Davis.
- Award of Merit
The Sacramento Bee 24th Annual Open
Juror: Patrick Dullanty, Professor of Art & Department Head
- 1st Place: Oil, Impasto, Acrylic</strong
California Arts League Annual Open
Juror: Gerald Boyd, SWA PSWC
- 1st Place: Oil
New Artworks 3rd Annual Open 1999
Juror: Greg Kondos, Prof. of Art CSUS, Sacramento
- Award of Merit
Haggin Museum of Art, Stockton, CA, 47th Annual National Exhibit
Juror: Gil Dellinger, Distinguished Artist and Professor of Art, University of the Pacific
- Award of Excellence
Watercolor Artists of Sacramento Horizons (WASH)
Juror: Greg Kondos, Prof of Art, CSUS, Sacramento
- 2nd Place: Oil
California Arts League Annual Open
juror: Pat Smoot, Distinguished Artist
- The Jackson Street Youth Shelter: Art instruction and fundraising support
- The Sacramento Tree Foundation: Artistic design for fundraising projects
- St. John’s Women Shelter: Art therapy sessions for residents
- Sacramento Fine Arts Center: Vice President of California Arts League
Artist in Residence
- Shriners Hospitals for Children
- Crocker Art Museum
- Sacramento Fine Arts Center.
Periodic Workshops, Lectures and Demonstrations
- Rogue Gallery & Art Center
- Rogue Manor Adult Community
- Twin Creeks Adult Community
- Siskiyou Field Institute
- Sun City Roseville
- Barnes & Noble Bookstores
- The Artful Eye
210 Cloverdale Blvd., Cloverdale, CAphone: 707.894.7449
- Art & Soul Gallery
247 East Main Street, Ashland, Oregonphone: 541.488.9006
- 20th St Gallery
Owners: Jim & Joni Ferry
Sacramento, CA 2002-2010
- Connextions Gallery
Owner: Patricia Calegari
Sausalito & Healdsberg, CA 2003-2009
- 404 Gallery
Owner: Howard Stover
Roseville, CA 2006-2009
- Pegasus Gallery
Owner: Bill Shumway
Corvallis, OR 2005-2008
- Gallerie Karon
Ashland, OR 2006-2008
- Elliott Fouts Gallery
Owner: Elliott Fouts
Sacramento, CA 2001-2007
- River Road Gallery
Locke, CA 2003-2007
- Sutter Creek Gallery
Owner: Brent Parsons
Sutter Creek, CA 2002-2004
- McConnell Gallery
Owner: Shelly McConnell
San Luis Obispo, CA 2002- 2003